Clinical Senate Forum – Thursday 7 February 2019: What More Does London Need to do to Enable People in Mental Health Crisis to Appropriately Attend Emergency Departments?
At this Forum, system leaders, clinicians and patients heard about the current challenges in the system from service users, carers, health and social care staff, London Ambulance Service and the police. Attendees discussed and debated ideas and potential solutions for how the whole system can improve the experience of those of all ages in mental health crisis.
This event was held on Thursday 7 February 2019 09:00-13:00 at the King’s Fund and the programme is available here.
The presentations delivered at the event were as follows:
- Welcome – Professor Oliver Shanley OBE (Regional Chief Nurse (London), NHS England and NHS Improvement)
- What is it like for us? Service user perspective – Peter Jones and Suzi Lee (Islington Borough User Group)
- What is it like for us? Carer perspective (adult) – Matthew McKenzie (Carer Consultant). Please see Matthew’s website.
- What is it like for us? Carer perspective (children and young people) – Dr David Sharpe (Carer). Please see a summary of Dan’s story and an article written by Dan about his reflections.
- What is it like for us? Mental health liaison services – Michael Dunning (Psychiatric Liaison Service, Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust)
- What is it like for us? London Ambulance Service – Ben Lawrie (Mental Health Paramedic Lead, London Ambulance Service)
- What is it like for us? Home treatment teams – Dr Sally Daly (Consultant Psychiatrist, City & Hackney Home Treatment Team (ELFT)) and Andrew Horobin (Service Manager – Urgent Care and Specialist Teams, City & Hackney Directorate (ELFT))
- What is it like for us? Approved Mental Health Professionals – Shaun Last (Lead AMHP for the London Borough of Lambeth)
- What is it like for us? Police – Inspector Elaina Usher (Central Mental Health Team, Metropolitan Police Service) and Constable Graham Alldus (King’s College Hospital Liaison Officer, Metropolitan Police Service)
A summary report with key messages from this Forum will be available soon.